Crafting: Weaving

So I want to produce one craft a week (I feel like I am biting off more then I can chew, here, actually). I figured this way my stop and go love/hate relationship and half-finished and just started projects that I am famous for in my house, can all be increased! haha, well, hopefully, the projects will be completed (especially since it will give me something to write about). Today's post: weaving! So I got a weaving kit at some point at the beginning of our stay in NC and realized while i enjoyed the act of weaving and  (I really like using them as inner layers for stuff), the lap loom I had, was, well, lap-sized, so it was small with slits for the warp (the vertical material along with the frame) the were evenly spaced but a good 24 of them notched together. I had trouble keeping my warp on the notches, to begin with but it all felt so...claustrophobic-ly small! Once I found ways to use existing furniture that the shape I wanted to weave (it was usually bigger), I quickly ditched it and used that. The weavers of the history and the world would probably tisk at me (and possibly slap my hands) as the greater the number of warp threads, the tighter the weave/knit but my warps tend to be bigger gaped (though, surprisingly-well not for me, probably- the weave is still pretty stiff with tension). I suppose more warp gives you an even amount of tension, but, I think I do alright. :)

Remember that $400 table I destroyed? Well, the frame is now my weaving loom! Woot, woot!
I will probably add something to make a warp guide that my weft (the horizontal material you are weaving through the warp) can be tied onto so it does not bow inwards, at some point.
To get started weaving all you need is a frame, some warp/weft material, and a needle! You can find starter kits pretty much anywhere or if you are craft (or want to be crafty) you can make it yourself! The easiest frame I found to start with is a square frame (you can make one or up-cycle/recycle already made frames like picture/art frames). Warping the frame can be as simple as tying the material over the frame, although it also can be notched, or pegged, and boom, you are ready to use your needle to weave the material through! Other accessories are spacers for the top and bottom so you have room to tie off the ends of the warp when you are done, also spacers that you can lift the material so that you can weave more easily. Another tool is a beater or comb-like structure (some use a fork!) that you tighten your weave down with. So have fun with it and enjoy the finished piece! 

Popular posts from this blog

Maids, Wives, and Widows

Building a metaphor