Forming Habits

So lately I've had lots of conversations and found myself in a...hypocritical?...state of mind. Habits are formed by the environment and thoughts you typically acquire when growing up, the influences that you are attached to (whether that is staying in line or rebelling from the line). [Western] Society is all about appearances. Not just the simple way you dress, but the way you act, the way you talk, your mannerism, body language, etc. We have learned to take it in and adapt it to us and what we want (there has been a lot of  "2 face" fake it till you make it adaptions over the years). The goal is to have that "perfect" civilized proper outlook. This could be the upper crust wealth (that realm of impeccableness in dress, act and manner) or modest "wholesome" vibe of homemade, homegrown, and last but not least, at the end of the spectrum of dignified but poor persons. I am still very literal when I think about things so when I say something I think about the literal words verses the nuances  of tone, body language etc...I've have been told that the reality of how it appears has been quite different then what I am thinking. I seem to have unknowingly adapted the implication of words (and a defensive whiny tone).....and the act of advising. I freely admit to be a complainer. I complain to complain, it releases energy and the weight of its burden. Yet, the habit of the nature of complaints (especially in my family growing up) was to advise and see how we can change it so it is not complained about (thus my hypocritical state of mind). 

I had a conversation the other day with a comment about not even considering the advise because I automatically played devil's advocate and subsequently knocked the idea. Which (at the moment) is true. Our core habits are already formed (especially at my age) and in order to change them, usually it has to be noted, wanted and in a lot of cases, due to a change in circumstance. In this case-well in most cases-time is my enemy. I was discussing the act (or lack there of) of the perfected habit (the "solution" to this is giving enough time for the habit to form and gain perfection), not looking for alternative habits to form.

Popular posts from this blog

Building a metaphor

Maids, Wives, and Widows

Crafting: Weaving