Book of the week: The hunting of the Snark, Lewis Carroll

 

The hunting of the Snark is a nonsense poem from Lewis Carroll. Google said it was originally for one of his books...but ended up not making it in I guess. The poem was sent to a friend with a signed copy of one of his books. I guess most people like to put a mean g behind it all (which I suppose is reasonable as most things even nonsensical have an inspiration behind them). I think my favorite is the fact that he uses "nonsense" words by smashing words together (which I do unthinkingly). This poem contains 8 "fits" as Lewis Carroll calls them outlining 10 characters out on a hunt. Actually, the fact that they go out with a map (that is just a blank piece of paper) without much know-how or true knowledge about it (except for how one can be lured out and what it can become) sort of reminds me if a childeren's make-believe treasure hunt (or that scene in the Winnie-the-Pooh movie where the crew is blindly following a  map no one can understand). In any case it was fun read and I highly recommend it!

Popular posts from this blog

Building a metaphor

Maids, Wives, and Widows

Crafting: Weaving