Howel's Moving Castle

 So I feel like I wrote about this movie at some point somewhere, however, we recently got it from Walmart (I think) dubbed in English with fun voices like Billy Crystal and Christian Bale. I am not all that great at remembering specifics (I tend to lump them all together) and was convinced this was a very confusing twisty turvy anime movie when I was watching in its native language (with subtitles). However, watching it with the English dub actually found me pretty emerged into the story. Maybe it's because I saw some random YouTube video that popped up on my feed talking about it (it has myth lore involving the baba Yaga, I think)...or maybe it was the dubbed voices I knew, however, this movie was pretty entertaining and I enjoyed it a lot. A young girl that is considered plain and average in her looks (and apparently dresses older than her age) who works in a hat shop gets spelled to look like she dresses from a "rival" bitter old witch who wants the wizard's heart after the hat maker (Sophie) is helped home by the wizard (Howell). This resilient no-nonsense spitfire of a girl ends up on an adventure to reverse the curse and in doing so, leads her into falling in love with Howell (which has his own curse and a magical world war to deal with). In the end, it is an act of love and understanding inner beauty (the whole beauty and the beast thing) that basically saved them all. There's also a second sorcerer lady that is the catalyst for at least Howell's curse (I think) and the greed of the witch that caused Sophie to be cursed into an old lady, but I am unclear as to what another grand purpose she had to the story; and a cursed prince that was the reason for the war as well. Either way, Sophie saves them all with her big heart and at the end they all kind of live happily ever after-ish.



Popular posts from this blog

Building a metaphor

Maids, Wives, and Widows

Crafting: Weaving