language and perfectionism

This week I have in-laws coming for the whole week so, the posts might be short and easy. So lately its come to my attention that while I have yet to truly embrace the fact that it is okay not to have everything be perfect (probably due to my interpretation of those who mostly influence me -family and friends- teasing and critiquing everything I do and am vs them just stating facts. Examples are the "messy hair" that my child has after I do it vs when my husband does it, that I was a "troublemaker" growing up and that I am "wrong" in any statements (or facts) and any actions I partake in (like being a band from writing, coloring, cutting or pasting anything for an intended audience, even if the said audience is 5-year-olds) I have made strides in not care as much (also probably because I can't be bothered to have the desire or energy in trying to be such). Some (and or good) are my crafting, cleaning, and overall general appearance.

A more lighter-hearted musing of this Monday is that of linguistics. As my child is apparently still in that phase of only being (mostly) understood by her parents and the ted-talk video of a social linguistic (she focused on Ireland and France and the results of their study on local and global uses of the language-she focused on the example like) and that of the casual joke of why the British can't speak English "properly". So I went down a rabbit hole of research and while I couldn't really understand the technical terms, the basic gist of it (from my understanding). Is that while BriEng was first and derived from their history, our forefathers did as they want and tried to cultivate their own culture and identity far from their own forefathers (thus Webster's dictionary vs Oxford's). And as America grew into the melting pot (that seems to keep growing) it is, our English followed suit. It's my fun fact of the day! 

Popular posts from this blog

Building a metaphor

Maids, Wives, and Widows

Crafting: Weaving