Dune

Holy toledo! I just saw Dune (1980s version) for like the second time ever! It is one of my other half's favorite book series and even beloved movies (though he is not fond of it digressing from the book as it did). Our discussion of it and it's like (because I am one of those who can't stop talking. Seriously, if you want to watch or listen to any media and actually pay attention to it, I will ruin it so just...dodon't invite me...?) and I had forgotten how just darn creepy it is! Yes, it is lots of fun with the theme of good trumpets over evil (with all the bad guys getting their cnuppets and that floating bloated brute being eaten by the worm) and the son avenging his father and then there that whole power of women thing with them being akin to old pagan priestesses where they basically control their people through the drugs of spice and their puppets men...or something like it (the whole no man can survive that transcendence mind melt superpower that his mother had that caused the premature labor of the sister who intern was born with super-duper powers as a result). The fun fighting/action scenes and the costumes and 80s CGI and, of course, the worms, who started a trend of how those types of beings/alien creatures are seen ever since-a common occurrence with the way humans and pop culture work together. But it's all just so creepy!!!!

(Google photo) 


Now the books...because they are a favorite of my husband's I am willing to bet I have read it at least once (at least the particular book that corresponds with the 1980s movie), however I don't recall much of it. As we were talking about this phenomenon, my other half was explaining bit and pieces and I realize I ain't sure I really want to read it or any more of it! Pauls rule and death and assent into a worm god (literally a worm with his face on it-eep!) and there's a book about how they basically have to restart the world spice planet because it is running low and ounces hooked, there is literally no way to live without it (and since it was manufactured in to everything, all population would die) so they destroy the ecosystem that took over the desert (a lush forest-y place?) put it back into it's desert form so they could mine the spice again! I couldn't handle and would be throwing those poor books all over the place in outrage (or freezing them as I do-er, did). I say it again, holy toledo!


Popular posts from this blog

Maids, Wives, and Widows

Building a metaphor

Crafting: Weaving