craft of the week:crocheting mini...things (Amigurumi)

This week my crafting is in part because I wanted to thank the friend that will take my active four-year-old so that I can actually attend part one of my psychological testing I found the lightsaber while googling for ideas and got super excited. While I found it to be an easyish pattern for me to complete, my crocheting is still very me-ish (frumpy and crooked). My husband said he could recognize it (mostly) which gave me an extra oomph to continue. However the longer I looked at mine, the longer it reminded me more of a sward/dagger and I decided to name it Sting and go in that direction. The next creature I decided upon was a dragon (modeled off of Smaug). Smaug I remember as looking a combination of Asian dragons (long winding bodies) and or Wyverns (mostly the bat-like wings with the winding bodies), as well as Komodo dragon and Dinosaur (legs, head, armor plating/horns/scales) lounging about on his stolen hoard...though he technically won fair and square as he DID fight them all for it...and thus I searched in that capacity. As I was crafting the dragon, I realized the body and wings I choose were mere guidelines as fumbling my way through the patterns, mine seems to only vaguely resemble them. My dragon's head, legs, and tail are where I made an attempt at what I thought they looked like through pictures of Smaug himself.  Then it was time for the hobbit. Now the hobbit is a bit of a mess. The pattern I found (after starting it with a different pattern that was more LOTR -and Link for the legs- vs Hobbit) seemed easy(ish). Because I started and did a lot of work with the LOTR/Link Pattern, I decided to work from that versus starting all over again.  I ran out of one color after the first leg and became...discouraged so I more or less to the rest of the bilbo pattern as a guide vs trying to do it exactly. I started bottom-up (except the hair, that I made first), I wonder if going top to bottom would have been better (besides redoing it and starting all over) though as I seemed to have so much trouble with the legs and the rest...worked easier. I also added his dwarf cloak/hood that was way, way, way too big for him cause oooh cloaks with hoods!!! But woohoo, they is done!



Popular posts from this blog

Building a metaphor

Maids, Wives, and Widows

Crafting: Weaving