The Odyssey-book of the week

This week, I tried audiobooks. It hasn't really worked for me in the past and as I found for this book, audiobooks, for me at least, are only good when I know the story inside and out and want background noise. Those books I need/want to concentrate on, I find it hard to do, as the way I read, I am usually faster than the speaker of the book as well as I would have to be shut in with no distractions of any kind...and that is just not practical.  In any case, the Odyssey (By Homer-though some histories say probably by multiple people) is an epic (a long poem usually memorized and performed with musical accompaniment) and tells the tale of Odysseus's 10-year journey home, with a side story of how his family is fairing without him. It is a classic, which I am sure has been at least heard of before. I will say, if you can get through the writing style it is a fun adventure of a story. With all the components of an adventure story, a journey, romance, vengeance, a sense of hope and folly, trickery, and a happy(ish) ending- this story has got it all. If you chunk it down by the theme of its books I found it to be easier to read: Telemachus's coming of age story starts the epic off in the first chunk (books1-4). Then it swings back to his father's journey home (books5-8). The next chunk, books 9-12-one learns of how Odysseus came to be journeying in the first place (he was coming home from the Trojan War). This piece shows how clever he is (with and without the help of the gods) and how greedy and just plain dumb his crewmen are. The longest chunk (which I split into 3 chunks of 4 books) is the rest of Odysseus's trek home where he meets up his son (who's had his own adventure) and defeats the hundreds of suitors clamoring for his wife and (probably more accurately) his throne. 

As I said a pretty good story but as it's a historical epic of literature...you might want to get an Old-English (or Greek/Latin) dictionary for all the wordage there use... 


Popular posts from this blog

Building a metaphor

Maids, Wives, and Widows

Crafting: Weaving