Craft of the week: jean jacket

This week I used some jeans I destroyed after realizing I didn't l didn't like the fit.  Did I cut them apart without really having a plan? Yes, did they sit with all the other clothes I deconstruct for a while taking up room? Yes. Did I Katja-fy it all up by making it more complicated than the video I decided upon for tutorial-ing? Yes, as per usual, I had a "well this might be fun" idea with no real plan of action. But it worked out pretty well thus far. So I made the back panel first from just looking at a jacket I mended the pockets of...and got confused on how to work the sleeves and front paneling. However, in deconstructing the winter coat, I created a pattern (ish) piece I could trace and then studied a DIY video I found (which seems a lot less complicated than what I did-but that might be because she is using one pair of jeans while I have multiple pieces...). 


As each piece was created and sewed on I realized how heavy it was! I am not sure if it was just because of the sewing job on the jean fabric...or if I just feel that weak, but of, I was definitely feeling the weight. So the last day of doing it I thought I would be zipping through it (literally!). However, the zipper, well, it did work but I had to fidget with it too much for my liking so buttons it was. The sleeves were easier to navigate though for some reason I halved each panel so while it fits, it is form-fitting. I already predict that that will be widened for a bigger sleeve as I test it out and about.  The pockets were okay sewings but all of today's sewing took forever to do (hence why the post is so late).

But woot! Woot! Now I have a jean jacket that I will at least test out and fine-tune before probably wearing and repairing often! 




Popular posts from this blog

Building a metaphor

Maids, Wives, and Widows

Crafting: Weaving